Copyright

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Software You will copy with risks to penalties and criminal procedures.

Sunday, September 30, 2018

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Remains of the DayThe Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

''The evening is the best part of the day.'

It was a very well-written book and though I don't agree with the definition of 'dignity' by the protagonist, Stevens, I respect him for the sacrifices he had to make to render his services to his employer, even on the occasion of his father's imminent death. His ideology stopped him from living a different, maybe even more fulfilling life. However, he seems to be representative of the English butler who kept the wheels of many important households running, while himself being invisible behind the scenes.

My bantering skills are at par with Stevens's, so I do understand his struggle to converse light-heartedly. Now, I can't wait to see the movie starring Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson that was nominated for eight Academy Awards. I had to wait until I finished reading the book to see how a successful screenplay is adapted. Also, the story arc of Mr. Carson in Downton Abbey was remarkably similar to Stevens. Probably heavily 'inspired' by the book.


View all my reviews

No comments: