Copyright

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Software You will copy with risks to penalties and criminal procedures.

Saturday, March 09, 2013

The Violinist


I heard Grammy-nominated Philippe Quint play the violin tonight at Flint Center, Cupertino. And what an experience it was! I feel extremely moved by good music, books,  films. In fact, I like to give in to the power of any kind of beautiful expression. Today was no different- my eyes welled as I heard the fiddle virtuoso recite Violin Concerto No.1 in G Minor, Op. 26, (originally composed by Max Brunch).

I discovered that Phillipe plays an antique Antonio Stradivari violin -"Ruby" (1708), on loan to him through the Stradivari Society. After receiving a much-deserving standing ovation from the audience, he played  for us The Red Violin ( composer John Corigliano) from the 1998 Canadian drama film, which was inspired by one of Antonio Stradivari's violins- the Red Mendelssohn (1721). I don't think Phillipe's choice of that piece was a coincidence.

I always had a desire to learn to play the violin. I heard that my father used to play it a long time ago. He took guitar lessons after he retired from the Indian Police Service. Every day I try to dream of at least one seemingly impossible thing or at least something that requires a long-term commitment- this gives me something to look forward to; today it is going to be to play the violin- no matter how long it takes.

No comments: