Copyright

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Software You will copy with risks to penalties and criminal procedures.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

How to read more?

I have been working on my Goodreads challenge this year (a pledge of 24 books). I have to average two books a month to complete my goal, and I have been wondering how to accomplish it. Tania di is my school senior from Holy Cross who has already completed 7 books for her 55 books challenge and I often see her progress on my Goodreads newsfeed. I found it very inspiring and I had to ask her how she does it.

She advised the following:
'I got rid of my TV, cut out my Netflix subscription and spent all my free time reading in some form. Audiobooks is probably another reason I can get through more. Audible/library audiobooks etc. I listened to these for hours during my long drives which I had to do daily for a few years. I also play them while playing games or doing chores. '
To be honest, I never really enjoyed audiobooks much, but those seem to be something to take into account if I want to complete my reading challenge this year. I used to listen to NPR when I cooked meals. I can switch to audiobooks once in a while.

I usually read before going to bed, and I fall asleep by the time I have read about twenty pages. I am working on cutting down TV time. Honestly, it is not much of a challenge because after a while, TV feels boring and I feel like going back to reading.

carry a book everywhere I go. I travel quite frequently, and long flights are ideal for some light reading. I even take my iPad to my manicurist. There is a good 45-mins reading time available when she is working on my feet. You can carry a book if you are expecting a long wait for a doctor's visit. Basically, encourage yourself to use all the hidden minutes in a day.

Also, using the progress tracker in Goodreads make it like a game where I try a little harder to complete one more page before I give up.

She also opined that I could skim non-fiction. A lot of non-fiction is fluff writing to fill a book when the message is rather short. She mentioned speed reading, and though I am someone who likes to take time to devour good writing, it might work for books where comprehension is not the main objective. Whatever your goal is, I hope you take time to enjoy reading some good books this year. Good luck!

You may like some classic audiobooks here

No comments: