Copyright

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Software You will copy with risks to penalties and criminal procedures.

Saturday, July 23, 2022

Janie

 I just had my Humans of New York moment in the United (US547) flight from San Francisco to Lihue today when I met my co-passenger, Janie. She is from Louisiana and lives about 2 hrs from New Orleans. I told her that I have been to Louisiana twice and love the Jazz scene, the Cajun food, the French Quarters there. And thoroughly enjoyed the swamp tour there.

She is a soy bean farmer who plants the crop in May and harvests in September. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to harvest. Then they sell it to the mill.

She showed me videos of her driving the tractor 🚜 and harvesting the beans. I have never seen someone enjoying their job so much.

Her husband has a 1967 Camaro that he was able to fully restore after 11 years.  (You might remember a similar looking 1967 black Chevy Impala that is Dean Winchester's trademark in the TV show Supernatural)(pic)



She told me about this monster catfish she had caught in her property during COVID. It weighed 26 pounds and was from her waist to the ground in length. (Pic)




While talking about her family, she showed me pictures of her children and grandchildren.  Her eldest son is about my age. And the most fascinating thing she shared me with was her transformation from who she was at 54 and who she is at 58. (pic)




The first thing I noticed about her when she walked into the plane was that how fit she looked. She was super nice too.  Offered me her cookies and tic tacs. Made me think of Sangram. He loves popping those.She held out her iphone torch for me when I was trying to find the plug point under my seat. 

She used to walk 5 miles a day once upon a time. Now, she walks whenever she feels like. This is the universe giving me a sign. If she can do it at 58, so can I. So can anyone.

You can find inspiration in the most unexpected places. Only if you are willing to listen. Really listen. 

I asked her if she was on the news because she surely deserves to. This is my way of showing respect 🫡 to an extraordinary woman. Gave her a salute in person too.

And not only that, she insisted that they drop me at my hotel even though it was in the south and their resort was in the north of the airport. All this after they have been traveling for more than 24 hrs. Their flight got delayed so they missed their connecting flight from LA. They flew to SF and decided to take a flight to Lihue from there.

Usually, we get cranky when we are tired. But not one moment during our time together did they make me feel that I was imposing on them. I tried telling them I was taking an Uber. But they would not listen to it. She said she wants to stay in touch during our stay and maybe make plans together. ‘Anything you need, let us know’ she insisted after she dropped me at my resort.

Why are strangers so nice to me sometimes. Maybe I look like a clueless child who needs to be taken care of.

I want to do something nice for them. Let me see. 

( Pics posted with permission)




No comments: